Colombia’s government and the country’s second largest rebel group, the ELN, will announce the date for formal peace talks on Monday, newspaper El Espectador reported Sunday.
Citing sourced in Caracas close to the guerrillas, the newspaper said the announcement will be made from the Venezuelan presidential palace at 5PM ET.
As a sign of goodwill, the guerrillas have released at least two hostages over the past few weeks.
The group has been talking with the government since before June 2014 and announced formal talks together with the government in March this year.
However, the talks were never effectively formalized after President Juan Manuel Santos demanded the rebels release all their hostages, a demand the ELN said to expect once formally negotiating.
After half a year of deadlocked secret meetings, the ELN announced last week via Twitter they hoped to come with good news within days.
#DelegaciónELNPaz Esperamos dar buenas noticias en los dias venideros a toda la sociedad colombiana sobre diálogos con el gobierno.
— ELN Paz (@ELN_Paz) October 3, 2016
The archbishop of Cali, Monseñor Dario de Jesus Monsalve, specified that the guerrillas and the government are working on a gradual, but definitive release of hostages the ELN while setting the date to begin talks in the Ecuadorean capital of Quito.
The Catholic clergy also confirmed ongoing peace talks with paramilitary successor group AGC, a.k.a. “Los Urabeños,” the country’s largest groups in arms now the FARC is maintaining a ceasefire and awaiting a resumption of their demobilization and disarmament.
The communist guerrilla group, originally inspired by the Cuban revolution and Liberation Theology, has long been Colombia’s second largest rebel group.
However, major military offensives have reduced the groups areas of influence over the past few years.