The reconstruction of Colombia’s Caribbean coastal departments will take years, the governor of Bolivar, one of the departments devastated by floods, said Monday.
Governor Felipe Merlano told Caracol Radio “it will take years. For example, the 60 to 80 percent of the secondary roads have been lost. There are crops that take three or to produce fruits.”
Merlano and governors from other flood-struck departments in the north met on Sunday in Cartagena to discuss the future of the region.
According to the Bolivar governor, he and his colleagues share the national government’s assessment of the situation.
Merlano said that the disaster also provides opportunity “to convert the Colombian Caribbean in the new focus of development in the country.”
Colombia’s suffered an excessively intense rainy season since March. The devastating rains have killed more than 300 people so far and 2.2 million people are said to be victim of floods and landslides. According to official estimates, the country needs $6 billion to repair the damages caused by the rains.