Colombian prosecutors have once against requested evidence regarding claims made by ex-president Alvaro Uribe who accused President Juan Manuel Santos of allegedly using funneled drug money to compensate spending during his 2010 electoral campaign. The country’s Deputy Prosecutor General has called on the Inspector General’s Office to release proof provided by Uribe, alleging that there were links between $2 million in drug money and Santos, Santa Fe Radio reported.
Santos’ spin doctor Juan Jose Rendon, was forced to resign earlier this month after El Espectador newspaper revealed that Rendon had received $12 million from drug traffickers after negotiating a deal with them to allegedly end parts of the drug trade.
Uribe then dove into the media firestorm saying that Santos had received $2 million of that money to cover debts from his 2010 campaign.
On Monday, the country’s deputy prosecutor, Jorge Perdomo, requested for a second time that he be provided with evidence regarding Uribe’s allegations.
Last Thursday, the prosecutor called upon the Public Ministry to release information about Uribe’s accusations. Uribe has indicated that he will only submit proof the the Public Ministry, alleging that Prosecutor General’s Office is biased.
The Prosecutor General’s Office has stated however that it cannot move forward with an investigation against Santos until adequate proof has been provided.
Uribe’s lawyer: no proof
The Senator-elect’s lawyer admitted last Monday that the former president had no proof of this claim. Uribe does not have any proof,” lawyer Jaime Lombona said to Colombian radio station W Radio.
In the former President’s initial interview with W Radio where he made his unbacked accusation, the career politician was also very clear. Regarding the claim against Santos, Uribe said that he had “testimonies,” “witnesses,” and a “very serious source,” but Lombona clarified Monday that “the ex-President Uribe never used the word ‘proof.’”
“He doesn’t have proof because he was not the witness nor did he know the facts,” continued the lawyer.
Uribe was called to the Prosecutor General’s Office to hand over any evidence of his allegations or give names of said “witnesses,” and publicly denied to do either, three times, claiming that there was a “lack of guarantees for a fair investigation.”
- Fiscalía pide a Procuraduría pruebas de Uribe en el caso JJ Rendón (Radio Santa Fe)