Colombia’s president Juan Manuel Santos has said that he will take legal action if ex president Alvaro Uribe does not produce evidence to back up his claims that Santos used funneled drug money to compensate spending during his 2010 electoral campaign.
The incumbent president and candidate for reelection on Sunday told Bogota public television network Canal Capital on Wednesday that Uribe’s accusations were harming the country.
|“If this man does not present evidence, I will go to the ultimate legal means. He is not only putting into question my reputation and my honor, but also the honor of my campaign and of this country, causing tremendous damage to the interests of the nation”|
Santos again denied Uribe’s claims that drug money was used to compensate excessive costs of his electoral campaign in 2010.
Santos is threatening to sue Uribe if he does not present evidence to back up his accusations.
“If this man does not present evidence, I will go to the ultimate legal means. He is not only putting into question my reputation and my honor, but also the honor of my campaign and of this country, causing tremendous damage to the interests of the nation,” said Santos.
Santos’ campaign manager, Juan Jose Rendon, was forced to resign earlier this month after allegations he had received drug money.
The Venezuelan political strategist was forced to resign after El Espectador newspaper revealed that Rendon had received $12 million from drug traffickers after negotiating a deal with them to allegedly end parts of the drug trade.
Uribe then dove into the media firestorm saying that Santos had received $2 million of that money to cover up debts from his 2010 campaign.
Uribe refused to testify regarding the allegations to Colombia’s Prosecutor General’s Office three times.
It is unsure now how Uribe will proceed and whether he will present any evidence regarding his accusations directed towards Santos.
The presidential election is on Sunday, May 25 with both Santos and Zuluaga in the lead.