Colombia’s arrested anti-corruption czar has vowed to cooperate with the Prosecutor General’s Office, to reveal alleged corruption practices by at least four Supreme court justices, his former employer said.
Former anti-corruption prosecutor Luis Gustavo Moreno was arrested in June after the United States’ Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) revealed recordings of the country’s highest anti-corruption official’s alleged bribery practices.
Since then, four Supreme Court justices, at least 11 politicians and multiple prosecution employees have been implicated in alleged corruption schemes.
The corruption has severely damaged the credibility of Colombia’s entire justice system and that of Prosecutor General Nestor Humberto Martinez, who personally appointed Moreno.
According to Martinez’ office, Moreno’s attorney offered “collaboration with justice related to the processes being carried out” to get to the bottom of corruption in Colombia’s judicial branch.
The prosecution said it would continue to seek the extradition of Moreno to the US, which could limit possibilities to get to the bottom of the widespread corruption that has sunk public confidence in the justice system.
In order to restore confidence, the administration of President Juan Manuel Santos on Monday announced it would seek a referendum in March for the ratification of measures to curb corruption in Colombia’s high courts.
Santos said he would embark on a “War on Corruption” after taking office in 2010, but has failed to effectively combat the criminal practice that is estimated to cost the Colombian tax payer several billions of dollars a year.
In fact, the very campaign that made him president in the first place is under investigation for allegedly having received bribes from Brazilian engineering firm Odebrecht that has been granted multiple major infrastructure projects.
The corruption claims have now marred the very top of all three branches of Colombia’s state.