Colombia spent $12 billion on defense and security in 2010, a government report said .
According to the National Planning department, 10% of the defense spendings were investment. The remaining 90% were financing current operations.
The report said the investment served mostly to modernize the military.
The $12 billion spent according to the government is significantly higher than what was estimated by a Swedish think tank that recently said Colombia spent approximately $9 billion.