Colombian police said Friday two German men died after they each swallowed about a pound of cocaine in latex capsules, some of which ruptured.
Police spokesman Col. Julian Gonzalez told The Associated Press that the two men died Wednesday in the city of Palmira near Cali after passers-by saw them convulsing in the street.
Gonzalez told the AP on Friday an autopsy found more than 100 latex capsules — apparently tied-off glove fingers — in each man’s stomach.
Authorities say the apparent would-be smugglers had booked return flights to Frankfurt.
Police identified them as 46-year-old Willy Bierreth Steffen and 39-year-old Joerg Reinhold Ihrin. Authorities provided no hometowns, and German diplomats refused to comment.