Colombian actress and model, Sofia Vergara’s company bought the rights to produce an English version of the Argentine show “Killer Women” or “Mujeres Asesinatos” for the U.S. TV network ABC.
The 40-year-old beauty bought the series format from Pol-ka Productions based in Argentina and will partner with the award-winning producer of the shows “Biggest Loser,” “The Office,” and “The Tudors,” Ben Silverman, to develop what they hope to be the next hit show in the U.S.
Vergara, who has starred in ABC’s Emmy Award-winning comedy, “Modern Family,” expressed her anticipation to work with ABC on the new show that will star several Latin actors in a San Antonio, Texas setting.
“At ABC they are very committed with the support to Hispanics, in [both] supporting our formats and in including us in their programming,” stated Vergara.
“Killer Women” was initially based on a Spanish book trilogy by author Marisa Grinstein and was first adapted into an Argentine soap opera with a theme that centers around women that have been affected by domestic violence and as a result become killers. The U.S. adaptation will be somewhat different, revolving around a female Texas ranger named Molly Parker who finds herself employed in a male profession.
Statements were also released by the actress via a third party, claiming that Vergara wanted to be a “Killer Woman” for a Mexican Version of the show, however, her schedule never allowed her time to travel to the country for the show recordings.
- Sofia Vergara salta de actriz a productora (Radio Santa Fe)
- Sofia Vergara, ahora productora de television (RCN Radio)
- Sofia Vergara to executive produce English remake of ‘Mujeres Asesinas’ (Latin Times)
- Benjamin Silverman (IMBD)
- Mujeres asesinas (Drama Fever)
- Sofia Vergara’s ‘Killer Women’ adaptation, Kyle Killen drama score pilot orders at ABC (Hollywood Reporter)
- TV Pilots for 2013-2014 (TV Line)