The former congresswoman and director of Colombians for Peace was confident the the protocol would be accepted and said that if no new obstacles emerged, the FARC would release the hostages in the first five days of April.
FARC should respond within the week, she estimated, giving the final date and locations for the delivery of the security force captives which they have promised to return, initially saying they would release six last November, then adding another four last month.
“We included some modifications to the security protocol which was accepted by Brazil, of which the FARC should already have had knowledge, and we hope that next week they respond to its content,” said Cordoba.
The government announced last Thursday that a protocol had been agreed with the Red Cross and Brazil, who will provide helicopters for the release operation.
At the press conference Cordoba also addressed criticism from the Minister of Defense Juan Carlos Pinzon, who claimed Monday the FARC was deliberately delaying the return of the hostages.
“I do not want to get into controversy with the government, but it isn’t true what the minister says and I think that efforts have been made within the stipulated time and we hope that they [the FARC] agree to a place and date for the delivery,” said Cordoba.
The hostages, some of whom have been held as long as 13 years, are the last of the FARC’s security forces captives. An unknown number of civilians are also being held by the rebels.