Colombian prosecutors said Monday they have shelved their investigation into the April 1991 slayings of two journalists for El Espectador newspaper.
A prosecutor involved in the case says the decision was made because the statute of limitations expired — and because the killers of Julio Daniel Chaparro and Jorge Torres were leftist rebels later killed in combat.
The prosecutor spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons.
El Espectador director Fidel Cano accused Colombia’s judicial system of “inefficiency” for allowing the case to end in impunity.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists reported last year that 13 of the 15 cases involving journalists slain in Colombia since 2000 remained unresolved.