Accion Social reported on Friday that forced displacement had dropped by 48 percent in Colombia in 2010, but an NGO says that actual numbers may vary, reported CM& on Tuesday.
Marco Romero, director of the Consultancy for Human Rights and Displacement (CODHES), said that Accion Social’s figures are not final and may increase. He believes that the number of forced displacements has dropped by 25 percent rather than the government’s initial 48 percent.
Accion Social did admit that the number of large-scale displacements did rise. In 2010, 50,000 Colombians were able to return to their homes after they had been displaced.