A fire destroyed at least 74 houses in the western Colombia on Monday, reported local media.
The fire started in a suburb of the city of Tado, located in the department of Choco, after a gas cylinder exploded. No one was killed during the blaze, but many families were left homeless.
According to reports, firefighters were able to control the fire after five hours and fire trucks have been stationed around the area to prevent new fires caused by sparks and embers.
Choco Governor Luis Gilberto Murillo said on his Twitter account, “Solidarity with our people from Carmelo in Tado. More than 250 people lost everything. We are now sending aid to the city.” Murillo also said he was meeting with government agencies to evaluate the damage.
The local government has asked Colombia’s national government for immediate help in re-locating the 85 families displaced by the incident.