The vice president of Ecuador has said that the FARC lost their way “a long time ago” and reiterated that President Rafael Correa did not receive FARC money for his 2006 presidential campaign, news agency EFE reported Monday.
Ecuadorean VP Lenin Moreno asserted that the “lost” guerrilla group did not donate any money to President Rafael Correa’s campaign in 2006, an allegation that arose due to WikiLeaks cables and internal FARC documents seized by the Colombian authorities from in a raid on a FARC camp in Ecuador in 2008.
Moreno said that “under no circumstances have we received a single cent from them and furthermore we would never have received anything ever because we believe that they [FARC] lost direction as a revolutionary movement.”
The vice president also said that for a while there has been “an international campaign by certain media and of certain international organizations to disparage Ecuador because those in power in Ecuador and internationally are not interested in the big transformations we have made in Ecuador.”
Both Correa and Moreno said that they do not know anybody from the FARC. Tired of what he calls a “hoax,” the Ecuadorian president said last week he is prepared to submit to a polygraph to prove that he is telling truth when he says that he never received money from the FARC.
When asked about the possibility of action against the former president, Moreno said “The president will know what to do in this respect.”
The Prosecutor General’s Office of Ecuador began last week with an investigation into the alleged financial contributions from the FARC to the presidential campaign of Rafael Correa.