The Colombian Army said Thursday the FARC‘s 15th Front had confirmed it was holding French journalist Romeo Langlois.
Langlois went missing last weekend when the Colombian military unit he was embedded with was attacked. He surrendered to the rebel group after being wounded in the arm. It was assumed the journalist had been taken hostage by the FARC.
Colombian General Javier Rey told the AFP news service the FARC, “sent local emissaries an authenticated message. In the message they admit that they have Romeo.”
Last Tuesday Rey dismissed a message from a supposed FARC rebel claiming the group had Langlois in custody as. Rey said the authenticity of the message was questionable.
In a separate report Reporters Without Borders told the EFE news service they had also received a message claiming Longlois was under FARC custody.
“The message was sent orally through various means of communication by a combatant of FARC’s 15th Front and was authenticated by the Colombian army,” said a Reporters Without Borders representative.
Numerous countries and international organizations offered their assistance to Colombia and demanded the immediate release Langlois.