The head of the government’s National Calamity Fund has said that despite their best efforts, emergency resources have not reached all Colombians in need of help following last year’s devastating rainy season, Caracol Radio reported Friday.
Jorge Londoño said that the government has attempted to help some 2.5 million people in need of aid but that there are some areas that have not yet been reached.
“While [aid] has not reached 100% of the population [who need it], there are no serious problems of hunger or health,” he maintained.
Londoño also acknowledged that the reconstruction of infrastructure, as well as the implementation of new defense mechanisms, have not been fully initiated.
He added that those involved with the emergency fund “will have to think about what [public] works the country should make so that this disaster does not happen again,” stating that the recent disaster demonstrated that “the country’s infrastructure was insufficient.”
The rainy season affected 30 departments in Colombia, with the most destructive damage occurring in the north of the country.