The inspector general’s office is responding to the lack of aid received by many flood victims by determining whether disciplinary action against the officials responsible will be necessary, Caracol reports Monday.
The delegate for children and adolescents, Ilva Miriam Hoyos, has said that many flood victims continue to be neglected in the departments of Atlantico, Bolivar, Sucre and Magdalena, despite these departments already having faced warnings over their poor record of humanitarian assistance.
She said that on several visits to the affected areas, she saw that help has not arrived and problems related to health, education and housing remain unsolved.
Hoyos announced that her office is preparing a draft of preventative action that aims to bring to the attention of local and national authorities these deficiencies in aid distribution and recommend ways to combat them, while adding that disciplinary processes will be discussed against the officials responsible for neglect.
The recent rainy season cost the lives of hundreds of people, while over a million were severely affected. The government declared last year that over $500 million would be needed to aid the flood relief, although the government has since faced continued problems over the distribution of the aid money.