The director of Colombia’s intelligence agency DAS accepted blame for the massive leak of intelligence information that could endanger the lives of hundreds of undercover officials.
DAS director Felipe Muñoz condemned former DAS officials for stealing confidential information and selling it for personal profit. However, the director acknowledged his responsibility for the filtration of sensitive information.
“If they were leaked, the responsibility is mine, I am the director,” said Muñoz in an interview with W Radio.
“The issue of my resignation is in the hands of the president,” said Muñoz.
On Sunday, news magazine Semana revealed that hundreds of thousands of secret DAS intelligence reports had been leaked. This database reveals not only the names, ID numbers and office of the office agents, but also that of informants and undercover agents who have infiltrated in illegal armed groups. The database reveals the agents’ home address, where they are located, the names of their family members and former employers.
According to Muñoz, most information was leaked in 2009. However, the DAS director admitted to Caracol that his organization has not yet been able to stop the leaks. “It is true that there are still risks. Three weeks ago information about the organization of [fugitive drug lord] ‘El Loco’ Barrera was leaked and there are two people under investigation,” said the intelligence chief.
Santos, politically responsible for the DAS, has not yet publicly responded to the scandal.