Colombia’s government confirmed details of the city of Bogota’s role in its newly established housing plan Friday.
Bogota Mayor Gustavo Petro confirmed the capital’s joint effort with the Ministry of Housing, which has pledged to award 100,000 houses to the poorest in the country, reported local media.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos appointed German Vargas Lleras as the new Minister of Housing earlier this week while launching a housing plan to help the country’s poorest families, an initiative intended to advance the government’s goals of reducing poverty in Colombia.
Petro offered vacant land in the capital’s southwestern Usme district to begin building, while the Colombian government is seeking to build houses in western Puente Aranda district– where land is currently occupied.
“If this is true about Usme, Bogota will begin the initiative right from the start,” said Vargas Lleras.
“We can’t wait for land in Puente Aranda to be vacated and we want Bogota to be part of this initiative.” He added.
Vargas Lleras will be leading the initiative and has filed plans with Bogota’s administration office which are expected to be approved before June 20.
The housing initiative is based on similar initiatives in Brazil, Chile and Mexico. President Santos said it could be carried out because of the good economic situation in Colombia and his government’s stated commitment to help the people who need it most.