Colombia’s defense minister announced on Tuesday that troops are already in pursuit of successors to the leadership of the late Alfonso Cano, supreme leader of the leftist guerrilla group the FARC.
In an interview with RCN Radio, Juan Carlos Pinzon said, “We will continue to follow whomever is named as the new commander. We guarantee that he will be more worried for his safety, given our new guidelines.”
The defense minister recalled that the prosecution team was always on the side of the soldiers; those who carried out “Operation Odysseus,” during which the FARC leader was killed and his computers were seized.
Pinzon also noted that a month ago the Colombian Armed Forces had given successive blows to the structures of the rebel groups FARC, ELN and BACRIM.
“We have dismantled almost 42 fronts, and we are trying to retake positions in Cundinamarca… Also, the ELN and the ‘Rastrojos’ have suffered strong blows during the last month,” added the defense minister.
Pinzon also said that it is customary in the last months of the year that there will be movements of officers in the different branches of the armed forces, but the changes will not affect the military leadership.