Team USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann announced the roster for the Friday’s game against Colombia and declared his excitement ahead of the soccer friendly in London.
“Amazing players” Klinsmann described the Colombian side in an interview with SNTV.
The German coach admitted he is relishing an opponent like Colombia, before acknowledging the high 3rd position “Los Cafeteros” occupy in the FIFA/Coca Cola World ranking.
“This is a real bench mark. You want to see how good we are right now? This is the bench mark that you want to have” said Klinsmann with reference to the upcoming game.
He then talked up the clash with Colombia as one that will surely answer most questions about the current form of the US team.
Klinsmann added that it will be “amazing” to play ‘at home’ in England. “We will be hoping to pack the stadium and make it a real American home game” he admitted.
The match will be held at Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC. The West London outfit has traditionally hosted a number of American players, including Clint Dempsey.
But Dempsey will miss the game on Friday, as well as that against Ireland four days later. He is still active in the MLS play-offs.
Other notable absentees include injured Michael Bradley and Omar Gonzalez.
Klinsmann is set to experiment with the squad, adding a few younger players to the tally.
“We want to see our youngsters take advantage of the opportunity to make their case and grow from the experience,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Colombian team under coach Jose Pekerman gathered at the first practice session in London on Monday. The focus of the light training were regenerative exercises.
Although the team was incomplete during first sessions, the missing players are expected to join their teammates on Tuesday.
Inter Milan’s Freddy Guarin is one who certainly won’t make it to England’s capital. The midfielder is recovering from a muscular injury.
Radamel Falcao is still on the sidelines after continuous fitness issues.
Other important players, including James Rodriguez, Juan Cuadrado and Carlos Bacca will be available for Friday’s kick-off.
The USA roster
- Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
- Bill Hamid (D.C. United)
- Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
- Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
- DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo)
- Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City)
- John Brooks (Hertha Berlin)
- Geoff Cameron (Stoke City)
- Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt)
- Greg Garza (Tijuana)
- Fabian Johnson (Moenchengladbach)
- Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution)
- DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)
- Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake)
- Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes)
- Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg)
- Julian Green (Hamburg)
- Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt)
- Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)
- Jozy Altidore (Sunderland)
- Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United)
- Jordan Morris (Stanford University)
- Rubio Rubin (Utrecht)
- Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)
- Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)