Alleged FARC attacks on Colombia’s electricity infrastructure left five dead and six injured Thursday.
Explosives placed around electricity towers killed five people and injured six while toppling three pylons in the southwestern Nariño department.
A suspected FARC bomb was detonated near a power substation in Cauca in the early hours of Thursday morning. Although the power station and surrounding houses were damaged, local authorities reported there were no fatalities, and the attack will not affect the electricity supply to the area.
The latest attacks in the south western Nariño and Cauca departments came one day after three electricity workers were killed by landmines while repairing pylons destroyed by alleged FARC landmines last week.
The area around the town of Tumaco has been without electricity for six days and according to local reports, workers for the local power company are afraid to enter the area due to the surge in attacks.
The governor of Nariño sought immediate intervention from the National Government to send specialists to help with the repairs which he says will amount to millions of dollars.
Colombia’s mining and energy minister told Radio Caracol that he will “take great care in the repair process to ensure that the guerrillas did not leave explosives that may affect workers.”
Energy company has condemned the attacks and has reiterated its commitment to providing a service with quality, continuity and security, according to Colombian television news program CM&.