Four soldiers and two civilians were injured in an alleged FARC bombing in southern Colombia, said local and international media Monday.
The injuries happened Saturday morning in the town of San Vicente del Caguan, a city in the department of Caqueta.
According to reports, 440 lbs of explosives were packed into a house and detonated as an army convoy passed by. Army officials allege that the FARC was responsible.
Speaking with Spanish news service EFE, 12th Brigade Army General Fabricio Cabrera said, “The house bomb was made of cement and they had been preparing it since [the house’s] construction, they even planted explosives in the foundation. They had it waiting for the right time until they detonated it as the military convoy was passing by.”
The explosion destroyed an army vehicle, damaged a school, and shattered the windows of the San Vicente del Caguan Airport air traffic control tower, causing a cancellation of night time air travel.
Cabrera went on to say the bombing was retaliation by the FARC for army operations in the area. Last Friday army officials said four FARC rebels were killed in combat operations in Caqueta.
According to reports three of the four soldiers have been taken to hospitals in Bogota and remain in critical condition.
The FARC is Colombia’s largest guerrilla group and has been highly active in the Caqueta department in recent years.