A local government human rights official in Colombia’s north-east has refuted reports in national media that hundreds of people are still at high risk of being displaced by security forces.
According to Colombian newspaper El Espectador on Monday, the ombudsman representing the municipality of Teorama in the northeastern state of Norte de Santander, had said that around 300 people are at risk of being displaced from the region because of alleged actions by military authorities.
“There are 270 people who can generate a massive shift, as stated by the community, because there there are arbitrary actions and abuses by the security forces present in that area,” Pallares told Caracol Radio at the time.
But that happened in March
However,in an interview with Colombia Reports on Tuesday, Pallares said that the risk of displacement had occurred back on 28 March, as a result of actions of the 33rd Mobile Column of the National Army.
Since then everything has been “calm” and there have been “no abuses,” he stated.
The municipality of Teorama in Norte de Santander is in an area with a heavy FARC and ELN presence. The country’s two largest rebel groups regularly engage in kidnappings and attacks against the local infrastructure, resulting in a heavy security presence.
- Interview with Ever Jesus Pallares
- Aparente abuso de la Fuerza Pública podría generar desplazamiento masivo en el Catatumbo (El Espectador)