Colombian president Alvaro Uribe traveled to Cartagena on Wednesday following the assassination of the mining and energy minister’s brother on Tuesday night.
In an interview with Caracol Radio, Uribe said that he wanted to see the circumstances and location of the crime for himself. He also attended the funeral service for the victim, Ricardo Martinez Torres.
Uribe also confirmed that he had announced a $25,000 reward for information leading to the capture of those responsible for the crime.
The crime has left the victim’s family and local authorities baffled so far.
Mining and Energy Minister Hernan Martinez Torres made a statement saying that the crime was inexplicable, and that his brother didn’t have problems with anyone.
Cartagena police chief Hugo Casas of the Bolivar confirmed that there were no known threats against Martinez before his murder.
Martinez’ widow, Cecilia Mordecai, who was seriously injured in the attack, is reported in good condition at the Hospital Universitario del Caribe in Cartagena.
A bullet was removed from her arm on Wednesday morning, and hospital authorities said she is out of danger and in the company of family members.