Colombian islands San Andres and Providencia were included in the list of ten best places to visit in 2009 by both The Times and Lonely Planet, newspaper El Colombiano reported Thursday, adding ten reasons why to visit these Caribbean beauties.
The Times praised the volcanic islands for its numerous possibilities. You can go cycling, snorkeling and horseback riding to enjoy both the land and underwater beauty of the islands.
The newspaper and travelguide’s announcement is good news for Colombia’s Commerce Minister Luis Guillermo Plata whose goal is to attract four million tourists to the country by 2010.
El Colombiano’s ten reasons why San Andres and Providencia are the best place to go (minus two, because one was double and another one was nonsense)
- The beaches and general cleanliness of the islands.
- The beautiful seven colored sea surrounding the island
- The hotel / resort area in Providencia has reserved the natural beauty of the island and has been constructed according to local colorful traditions.
- The seabreeze you can hear, because of the lack of noisy discos on Providencia
- The creole quisine and icecream
- The easy nafibation between the islands during high season
- Cheap shopping for bedlinnen and spices
- The creole language of the people (which sounds more Jamaican than Spanish)