Colombia’s Prosecutor General’s Office said on Sunday that the twelve
indigenous who were massacred last week were killed by bullets normally
not used by illegal armed groups in the region. Indigenous organization
ONIC considers the army to be a suspect.
According to acting Prosecutor General Guillermo Mendoza Diago, the bullet casings found at the scene of the crime were all of 9mm weapons, which are usually not used by the guerrilla and paramilitary groups active in the south of Colombia.
The bullet casings indicate that a party other than one of the illegal armed groups active in the region is guilty of the massacre of twelve that has been internationally condemned.
“Nine millimeter bullet casings of Ingram handguns or machine guns appeared. This suggest that the arms used were not the 7.62 rifles used by the armed forces,” Mendoza Diago said.
The ONIC has requested an investigation into the possible involvement of the army in the massacre, as some of the victims were witnesses in the case against military personnel suspected of the murder of another indigenous Awa.
The initial article wrote the illegal armed groups were suspected. This was a mistake. Our apologies for the confusion.