“Two sources informed us of an armed car bomb… and of a group of hitmen who guaranteed that the presidential candidate would not survive the attack,” said vice presidential candidate Clara Lopez.
Lopez said that congressman Ivan Cepeda was also the object of such the “imminent” attack.
The vice presidential candidate was scheduled to meet Wednesday afternoon with Minister for the Interior and Justice to denounced threats from criminal groups “Los Rastrojos,” “Aguilas Negras,” as well as guerrilla organization the FARC, against Petro as well as congressmen, councilors and trade unionists.
Police director for civilian security Orlando Paez Baron said police had not detected any specific threat against Petro and said all candidates should continue to move around the country freely without concern.
Security for the Polo Democratico candidate was beefed up last week, following revelations that the FARC plan to assassinate the leftist politician.
Colombia’s presidential elections are scheduled for this Sunday May 30.