The Ombudsman of Nariño, the most south eastern department of Colombia,
said Monday he had warned about the threat of a massacre.
Earlier that day the news broke that the FARC probably murdered 18 Awa
According to Ombudsman Vólmar Pérez Ortiz, says he sent out an early alert on January 8 because “the vulnerability factor of the indigenous Awa community (…) for armed activities of the FARC, ELN, emerging armed groups that called themselves Self Defense Forces of Nariño and [drug trafficking gang] Los Rastrojos could result in murders, forced displacements, disappearances, accidents with anti-personnel mines and other violent acts,” he told newspaper El Espectador.
Authorities that are trying to get to the area where the alleged massacre took place have trouble getting there, because of the weather and the remoteness of the area.