Gustavo Moncayo, the activist father of former FARC hostage Pablo Emilio Moncayo, on Tuesday said there had been an attempts to kidnap him.
In the 12 years his son spent in FARC captivity, Moncayo gained fame by walking through Colombia demanding his son’s release and advocating a humanitarian accord, which includes the exchange of FARC-hostages for guerrillas captured by Colombian authorities.
According to Moncayo, he was assaulted in Bogota by two men. “In the struggle they tore my shirt, hit my arm and to lesser extent my head, but I am fine,” the activist told press.
Moncayo claims the two men tried to pull him into a van, but that his resistance caused the attempt to fail.
Moncayo’s son fled Colombia after his release. According to the family, his critical approach to the administration of former President Alvaro Uribe resulted in death threats. Moncayo himself also denounced receiving death threats against himself and others in the family.