The 2006 demobilization of 70 guerrillas of the FARC‘s Cacica La Gaitana front was fake, FARC deserter “Rojas” said Monday.
The demobilization of the guerrillas, who handed over 60 weapons and an airplane, was all a farce initiated by demobilized FARC rebel “Olivo Saldaña,” Pedro Rojas Montaya, a.k.a. Rojas told Noticias Uno.
Rojas killed “Ivan Rios,” the commander of the FARC’s Central Bloc, before turning himself over to the government in 2008.
According to Rojas, the Cacica La Gaitana front never existed. Some guerrillas, paramilitaries, common criminals and even members of the government were involved in the fake demobilization, he claimed.
“A registrar of Ibague, General Tocarruncho who at that time was director … sorry, head of intelligence of the INPEC, former peace commissioner Luis Carlos Restrepo, they all took part [in the fake demobilization],” the guerrilla turncoat said.
‘Rojas’ claimed that the money for the demobilization and for the weapons, that the alleged guerrillas handed over, was supplied by a paramilitary who wanted to avoid his extradition to the United States. “The money came from a man called Hugo Yepez Rojas ….he organized it with ‘Olivo’ … he gave the money, the arms. Everything cost billions of pesos.”
The deserter said he is willing and prepared to tell his version to judicial authorities. “The Court, the Prosecutor General’s Office, the Inspector General’s Office, so that they all are aware of these cases.”
In March 2008 ‘Rojas’ killed killed Rios and his girlfriend in their sleep with close-range shots to the head. He cut off Rios’ right hand as proof and carried it packed in ice as he surrendered to the army.
Since then, ‘Rojas’ has been in jail and refuses to confess any crimes he may have committed during his 16 years with the FARC. He accuses the government of not living upto promises made about compensation for his demobilization and murder of his commander.