Ecuador collaborated with the Colombian army in the FARC camp bombing that killed ‘Raul Reyes’ and caused the break down in Colombia-Ecuador diplomatic relations, according to the Ecuadorean Commission investigating the incident.
“In absolute certainty I can’t say, but there was Ecuadorean collaboration. I can’t say any more as it would be damaging to the report but there was at least some form of treason,” said Francisco Huerta, leader of the commission compiling a report on the matter.
Huerta said that the report would name names but that the Ecuadorean government “is at no risk”.
Ecuador broke diplomatic ties with Colombia on March 3 2008 after the Colombian army bombed a FARC guerrilla encampment on Ecuadorian soil without previously notifying Ecuador’s authorities.
Ecuador now wants Colombian officials to bear responsibility for the incursion that killed the FARC’s number two, Raul Reyes and 25 others, including an Ecuadorean citizen.
An Ecuadorean judge sought to extradite former Defense Minister Juan Manuel Santos and Commander of the Armed Forces, Freddy Padilla de Leon for their alleged involvement.
Despite the extradition requests, Colombian and Ecuadorean authorities will meet Tuesday to discuss security and border control.
The official report on the investigation into the incident will be released November 10.