Former Former paramilitary leader Daniel “Don Mario” Rendon Herrera says he is grateful for Colombia’s decision not to extradite him to the U.S., and that he will continue to cooperate with the Justice and Peace tribunal, reported Caracol on Wednesday.
The claims were made in a letter that Don Mario sent to prosecutors from the Justice and Peace tribunal, which gives former paramilitaries reduced sentences in exchange for collaborating with justice.
In the letter the ex-AUC leader expresses gratitude for the Supreme Court’s decision last week to reject the U.S.’s request for his extradition in order that he may co-operate with the courts in his own country, saying he received the news with “great humility, and also with much hope.”
Don Mario explained in the letter that the Colombian court’s decision allowed him to “continue hearings before the National Unit for Justice and Peace of the Prosecutor General’s Office to guarantee the effective compensation of the undeserving victims, so that they know the truth about everything that has occurred.”
In the letter Don Mario also says that he will not stop providing incriminating evidence about illegally armed groups that are active in Colombia.
The former paramilitary is wanted by United States courts on charges of drug trafficking.