Opposition senator Piedad Córdoba may continue being part of the
commission in charge of picking up two hostages the FARC promised to
release this week. All other members of the ‘Colombians for Peace’
group are banned, President Álvaro Uribe said Monday.
Members of the group Sunday accused the Colombian army of having conducted military operations in the area where the FARC was releasing four members of the security forces.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) acknowledged Monday there had been “some acts that caused friction”, but says it is satisfied about Sunday’s operation and calls on the Government to to keep its word on the security guarantees given to ensure a successful end to the four-day operation.
Monday and Wednesday, the guerrillas are to release two more hostages, but Uribe’s initial announcement Sunday to only allow the ICRC, backed by Brazilian logistic support, seemed to threaten this release.
The ICRC and family members of the two politicians whose liberation is still pending had asked the Government to allow Córdoba back in the mission.
The FARC is to release one of the politicians Monday and another one Wednesday.
However, the compromise leaves the release in a limbo. It is uncertain if the FARC is willing to accept this sudden change of heart of the Colombian government.