Colombia’s Prosecutor General’s Office on Monday announced to open 13 more criminal investigations against businessmen, politicians and former city officials over a public works corruption scandal that has the capital’s former mayor in jail.
The full list of new suspects is as following:
- Efrain Torrado (senator)
- Wilson Duarte (former council member)
- Andres Camacho (former council member)
- Orlando Parada (former council member)
- Hipolito Moreno (former council member)
- Carlos Romero (former council member)
- Dario Fernando Cepeda (council member)
- Yuri Chillan (former mayor’s chief of staff)
- Jorge Enrique Pizano (former water management chief)
- Mauricio Solano (former security official)
- Fernando Alvarez (former transport secretary)
- Javier Mejia (contractor)
- Andres Cardona (contractor)
Following the announcement of the new investigations, Romero sent a letter to Prosecutor General Eduardo Montealegre in which the presidential candidate’s husband demanded a speedy trial and claimed he was the victim of a conspiracy that sought to discredit his wife’s candidacy.
Lopez, who assumed the Mayor’s Office after former Mayor Samuel Moreno was forced to resign over the multi-million-dollar scandal, told press she would not make statements about her husband’s criminal investigation.
According to investigators, corrupt politicians received kickbacks for awarding public works contracts worth $500 million to befriended contractors.