Colombia handed copies of the video wherein FARC commander ‘Mono
Jojoy’ talks about guerrilla contributions to the presidential campaign
of Rafael Correa of Ecuador to the Organization of American States (OAS) and Interpol.
In the video, the high FARC commander confirms Colombian accusations that the guerrillas donated money to the 2006 campaign of Correa, who won those elections.
According to Colombia’s Press Secretary Cesar Mauricio Velasquez, both the OAS and Interpol will investigate the video.
Saturday, Colombia’s Prosecutor General, Mario Iguaran, had already warned the Ecuadorean President was being kept an eye out for by international courts and institutions.
Correa says the video is a “sham” and part of a conspiracy to discredit “progressive” Latin American governments. The leftist president did form a commission to also investigate the video. The opposition in Ecuador calls for the resignation and arrest of the President.
Ecuador cut off diplomatic ties with Colombia more than a year ago
after the Colombian military bombed a FARC base on Ecuador’s side of
the border in March 2008.
Colombia’s conservative leader,
Alvaro Uribe, accuses Ecuador of not doing enough to help combat the
FARC while Correa says Colombia is using the video to try to
destabilize his progressive government.