Colombia’s Armed Forces commander, General Freddy Padilla, late Thursday denied any U.S. help in the March 2008 bombing of a FARC camp in Ecuador that killed Raul Reyes and 25 others.
Earlier that day, an Ecuadorean commission charged with the investigation of the cross-border attack had said the then U.S.-controlled Manta base off the Pacific coast of Ecuador was “fundamental” in the preparation of the attack.
“That’s not true,” Padilla told Colombian press, without getting into detail.
The March 1, 2008 bombing sparked long-lasting tensions between the two neighboring countries and severely damaged bilateral trade. Officials from Ecuador and Colombia are now trying to normalize relations again.