Colombian Peace Commissioner Frank Pearl announced Thursday that the release operations for FARC hostages Josue Daniel Calvo and Pablo Emilio Moncayo have been moved back by one day, and are now due to take place on Sunday and Tuesday respectively, reports Colombian media.
The FARC released a statement Friday accusing the Colombian government of deliberately delaying proceedings and “doing everything possible to prevent the releases,” according to reports by El Espectador.
Pearl stated that the release operations for the two soldiers, which had previously been scheduled to occur on Saturday and Monday, were now due to take place one day later.
The peace commissioner said that this did not indicate any problem with the proceedings. “The process is advancing well,” said Pearl, “We have decided to postpone the day of the first release. It will not be this Saturday, it will be this Sunday.”
According to El Espectador the release of the remains of policeman Julian Guevara, who died in FARC captivity in 2006, will also be delayed.
The liberation of FARC hostages Josue Daniel Calvo and Pablo Emilio Moncayo has been in its final stages since last week.
Pablo Emilio Moncayo has been held by the FARC since 1997, while Joshua Daniel Calvo has been held since April 2009.