A homeless man died in Cali on Monday after eating a poisoned chicken, bringing the total number of recent deaths of the city’s street people by poisoning to four.
According to a report by television station Caracol, the man was taken to a local hospital that morning, and died despite treatment.
This incident is not isolated; up to 44 homeless people in Cali were made ill, and Caracol Radio reports that three died, after eating poisoned natilla, a popular Christmas dessert, which was handed out to them on New Years Eve.
A man came forward to say that he distributed the natilla, but denies making it or knowing that it was poisoned.
According to authorities, in 2009 there were 53 murders of homeless people in Cali, an increase from 35 killings in 2008.